Monday 4 March 2019

#2 It takes time..But it Happens.

Wassup guys? Tired? About to sleep after a long day at work? Or even without doing something significantly productive, feeling tired as a result of procrastination? Don't worry. I can relate to it. Because I have been through such a phase, where I never felt the urge to leave the comfort of my bed and do justice to the precious time that was at my hands. As a matter of fact, I had to face some dire consequences because of this sluggish behavior of mine. 

    Without a doubt, my Seventh Semester was the toughest one of all. President of my Toastmasters club, 23 credits and the "Baap" of all: The Placement Season. Adequately balancing my attention and focus towards all three of them was a tough task. Firstly, the Presidential term. Here, I was blessed to head an efficient and a supportive Executive Committee that made my work a lot more easier. But friends, there were some instances, some unforeseen scenarios where I felt like quitting in the midst of my term. Initially, I wasn't very confident as a leader and was confused regarding what to do in order to take the club forward. The result was the club being stagnant in its growth. Fingers were raised on my leadership. I asked myself "How is this club going to grow and flourish?" Just then, a thought struck me: "It will take time..But it will happen." As time passed, I developed the much needed confidence to take firm decisions and make solid amendments for the betterment of the club. I remember a day when our Club Contest couldn't start on time because of an unfavorable scenario. Our faculty coordinator came to resolve the issue but it was too late for the contest to start. I had two choices: Either to conduct the contest, that very day in an uncomfortable venue or to postpone it to a later date. At that moment, I saw 20-30 people staring at me with curiosity, waiting for that ONE DECISION from my side. That's when I realized my power as a leader. With all confidence, I decided to conduct the contest at a later date. My Executive Committee's term ended with a fantastic milestone session with a record attendance of 150+ and some amazing speeches. I was and I am still very proud of my entire team. The club grew and again reached its peak. It took time, but it happened. 
    Now, coming to the placement season. I sat in a total of 40-50 companies before getting a Dream Offer. In July, I couldn't clear a single written test. In August, I cleared the written test for two consultancy companies, but got eliminated in the "Group Discussion Round." In September, I cleared the Written and the G.D. round for 2 companies but got rejected in the Final Interview. Not to count the 30+ companies, where I wasn't even able to clear the written round. I was frustrated. Going to give tests and interviews, wearing formals all the time, but to no avail. My family used to get excited with the news of me reaching the last round of various selection processes, but it all would melt into disappointment when I would get rejected. My parents and siblings always supported me, but somewhere, I knew even they were frustrated. I asked myself, "When will I get placed?" Again, from inside, came a voice: "It will take time..But it will happen." I worked on my weaknesses, modified and restyled my resume as per the company's needs. Finally in the last week of September, I got placed in 2 regular IT companies. A few days before my Term End Exams in November, I got placed in the last Dream Company that came in that semester: Vodafone Shared Services India. It took time, patience and perseverance, but it happened. 
   Finally, handling academics along with Extracurricular stuff and Placement Season was tough. There were times when I had to give Re-Internals because of the clash of dates between my Company's written test and my internals. Plus, towards the end of my semester, my personal life took a toll, when a partner I assumed to stay with forever, abruptly started having issues with me and eventually decided to leave. It was hard to let her go, but then I thought that our company was toxic for one another. Of course, I would have put more efforts than I actually did in order to save our relationship, but I had my Term End Examinations at the same time. With a very heavy heart, I granted her the freedom to take a decision and she decided to leave. I did so for my betterment as well as her betterment. This emotional turmoil impacted my results. I got my first ever backlog in a subject. My family lost faith in me. Undeniably, it was the hardest time of my life. I asked myself, "How will I be able to get through this phase?" A voice came from inside, "It will take time, but it will happen." I started hustling for a better tomorrow. New year 2019 gave me a sense of freshness. Currently, I got an okayish score in GRE with a month of preparation. My Final Year Project is almost complete, leaving me with only the documentation part. I got my failed subject substituted with a fresh, new one in which I am performing well. What about the impact of her absence? Well, it was my family which stood with me in this phase. My parents and my sister continued showering their unconditional love upon me and kept on believing in me, despite all my failures. Instead of shedding tears on losing her, my focus is towards doing something worthy of pride for those who love me unconditionally: My family. Also, I recently won a Speech Contest in Toastmasters. Personally I feel, I am at my best front right now and I am enthusiastic to achieve a lot more in my life. This process of moving on wasn't easy at all. It took time, but it happened. 
    Folks, there will be moments of despair, grief, anxiety and fear. You may lose your interest in your goals and you may end up becoming a depressed procrastinator. But in such moments you may ask yourself, "Will I be able to rise again. Will I script my resurgence?" At such time, just remember: It takes time...but it happens. Get up man!!  

2 comments: